Tuesday 24 January 2012

To Fat For Fashion

I was reading Elle magazine issue December 2011 and I came across an article on page 183 “To fat for Fashion” and it got me thinking is their particular size, weight that is to “fat for fashion” it’s a serious issue to think about.

Before I use to think personally I was to big for fashion, down to many reason mostly my confidence level and what was portrayed to me from the fashion industry. I always tried to second guess what other people would say of what I was wearing I guess I use to dress for them instead of me, which was a big mistake. I also had this big fear of walking into a shop and finding nothing that would fit me, I just use to think what’s the point. Even if the clothing did fit I would still not be happy I guess It to took me to say hey you now what I love what I am wearing and I look good, that may sound a bit self absorb but really its not. If we constantly wait for approval from others then we won’t get anywhere.

I said this before that fashion designers have a greater responsibility then just selling clothing. They need to see more then £££ signs. I get highly frustrated that plus size are still being highly ignored by the fashion industry. I feel most designers are missing the point that in the UK the average size woman is a size 16 but the question I have are this designers even taking this into consideration?

If you ask me is their a particular size that is to fat for fashion then I would have to say NO, we need to separate fashion from health. I feel this is where the industry is getting confused because we hear all these reports on obese Briton that we are a unhealthy nation that being a certain size and weight is unhealthy and it don't look nice. I am not going to get into that right know. What I am going to say is material does not come with a weight restriction so the only possible answer I can give is NO.

I agree with Caryn Frankin, she says “ the fashion industry uses catwalk models to promote their clothes, to press and buyers, but forget that nowadays everyone see the look (buy into the look)and with implicates pointers about body, this all has an effect on female self-esteem” she goes on to say the reason for this is “ the bigger picture is that designers aren’t graduating from college with the knowledge of how to design for realistically shaped bodies they aren’t conscious of their responsibilities to showcase fashion on a broader range of bodies” for me its like they are being taught this shape, and size sells. I think all new fashion designers should made to have a wide range portfolio show that they can make fashion for me then someone who is a size zero.

xoxoxoxoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment